Sunday, December 8, 2013

EE8086 Astronomy

Lessons:
3 hr lecture per week

Assessment:
Mid-terms 30%
Finals 70%

Exam Format:
Midterms - MCQs
Finals - MCQs


Description:

A heavy-content module studying the universe, such as the solar systems, different characteristics of the planets, stars formation and lifespan, etc. Quite Physics-intensive, will be advantageous if you have a background in Physics.

Recorded lectures are available. And lectures generally last for 2 hours, with the last hour used for showing videos, which is not compulsory.
Textbook not really required, most information are covered in the lecture notes.
I heard that there is a question bank available that provides good practice for the exams, though I have never seen the question bank before. So you may want to ask around for it.

The best thing about this module is that the exams are entirely MCQs. But because it is MCQs, this module is highly popular, and the bell curve is very steep, from what I heard. And even though it is mostly MCQs, there is still a lot of memorizing needed. The MCQs can be tricky also, and you will face situations where you have to decide between 2 or 3 choices which all seem correct. But there will be a lot of discussions after that exams regarding the answers, so maybe you can gauge how well you did and decide whether to S/U it or not.

PS: I'm selling the e-textbook (The essential cosmic perspective 6th edition) for $20. Comment if interested :)

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello :) i have some questions to ask because i was assigned astronomy as my elective. i'm deciding if i should drop it or not. hope you can help me out!
    what grade did you get, what was your study method and how much time did you invest studying for the finals?
    could you email me the course outline if possible? I can't find it on the internet.... Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got an A- for this mod! The study method is really just memorising (and maybe visualise the processes for some parts). I read the textbook once, in pace with the lectures, but for revision, I relied totally on the notes. The notes are really in point-form so you do need to listen to the lecturer to understand. Otherwise, reading the textbook will help you to understand as well, but it's heavy reading.

      I had to put in a lot of time last minute because I didn't put in a lot of effort during the readings (like I didn't make much effort to remember the facts). So you will have to be consistent in studying and remembering the facts along the way.

      The course outline is nth much. Just the recommended text and exam format (which is pure MCQs). I'm not sure if they will change the format or not so it's better to wait for the lecturer to upload the course outline :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, if your The Essential Cosmic Perspective Textbook is still available, I'd like to buy it. You can text me at 91889765. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete